Tuesday, August 12, 2008

hanging on


I happened across this picture looking through my files just now, and thought I would share it with you all. This is my housemate David and I, exhibiting our respective personalities to the extreme on a swinging bridge over a gorge in the Sierra, close to the Basaseachi Waterfall. It was taken by our dear friend Kristen as we were traveling with her family when they came in April.
And no, I'm not eating David's hand.
Not only is the picture funny, but I think it humorously illustrates the way I feel right now: just trying to hang on and ride the storm.
School starts on Monday. I'm teaching Algebra II to high school sophomores, the majority of which don't have a great level of English, which means I'll probably be using a lot of Spanish to communicate mathematical ideas. I also feel way behind in preparing my 20th Century History class.
Church is pretty wild right now, as well. We've been having services about 4-5 nights a week, because there's a revival going on, so I haven't had much time to prepare classes aside from a few brief hours in the morning and afternoon, since we've been teaching English to all the school personnel for three hours in the morning.
So, part of me feels worn a little thin, trying to hang on to something solid during this tempestous time. I read a Puritan prayer this morning that said something about the Spirit guarding my soul that its waters would remain undisturbed by worldly gales.
"When peace, like a river..." and "when trials, like sea billows" - two extremes held together by the "It is well, it is well with my soul."
May the peace of Christ attend your souls...

1 comment:

sweetalb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.