Wednesday, August 20, 2008

back to school


How I love the smell of fresh notebooks, newly sharpened pencils, and dry-erase markers heavy with watery ink! I remember my days in elementary and middle school, the nervous-yet-excited feeling in my stomach I got as mom walked us down the Wal-Mart back-to-school aisle, checking off a list of new school supplies to acquire, along with the rest of Joplin's school-age population.

And now I'm on the other side. I confidently walked into my 4th grade class on Monday, looking at my students' excited (but apprehensive) faces, and started up my well-practiced "Teacher Billy Voice," which includes very colorful explanations and a lot of clearly-enunciated, oft-repeated words. As I left the classroom, I could feel their nerves twisting and turning, some of them not sure about this new Teacher.

Classes have gone well this week. We English teachers decided that a strong, firm front at the beginning of the year would be the best approach. As I gave my classes their syllabi, putting forth my expectations for the year, I basked in their quiet acceptance of my authority. Much different than last year's chaos, I commented to myself.

With the commencement of classes also begins our morning routine. David and I have discovered the happy secret to making real Quaker oats by simply putting the oats (and Craisins!) and boiling water in a covered bowl, letting it sit for 5 minutes, and POOF, yummy Craisin oatmeal. So, after a steaming bowl of Cran-oatmeal and perhaps some hot tea to kick-start the day at 6:00 am, we're off to school.

Even we teachers have our peculiar school routines. :)

No comments: