Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Jesus is still in the boat.

The summer before I came to Mexico the first time, I went sailing several times with my family on Lake Michigan. One of the most memorable sails was on a cloudy Sunday afternoon with a few friends from church. The wind and waves were technically safe, but the gusts and swells we encountered rocked the sturdy 27-footer in a manner that told my greenhorn sailing sense to be glad I was not at the helm. I trusted my dad through the trip, knowing that he wouldn't venture out into what he couldn't handle. But I found a new respect for the sailors of old, braving wild seas with limited technology far from shore. 

I'm sure that Peter and the rest of his maritime fishing partners knew the capricious seas on which they sailed, and that the storm in which they found themselves in Matthew 8 was no joking matter. Matthew records that the boat was being swamped by the waves. That makes my little Lake Michigan adventure sound like a pleasant day trip compared to having waves twice my height crash into the boat and threaten to send her to the bottom. 

And Jesus was sleeping. 

No doubt he was tired from his long day of teaching, healing, and casting out demons, but seriously...he was sleeping?

You know the story - they wake him up, thinking they'll be dead in a few minutes and he's their only chance out of this mess (they were right). He reprimands them for their lack of faith and then directs his attention to the tempest, saying, Peace! Be still! 

I like how the Eugene Peterson puts it in the Message: The sea became smooth as glass. The men rubbed their eyes, astonished. "What's going on here? Wind and sea come to heel at his command!"

I imagine myself in the disciples' place, and I would flipping out and wanting to wake up Jesus thinking he'd drown too, if he didn't wake up and do something fast. You know, Jesus would have been caught off guard, he wouldn't have...known what...to do.

He was in control the whole time, asleep and awake.

I'm trying to believe this is true. I wouldn't say life is a tempest right now, perhaps somewhere between a Lake Michigan rumble-tumble and a Galilee gale, but life and all its noise is making me lose sight of peace. I feel like Jesus is sleeping and thus isn't in control or doesn't really care. 

Father, give us: eyes to see that Jesus is indeed with us in the boat, an understanding of your desire for your glory and our good, and the faith necessary to trust in your sovereign promises.

4 comments:

Lara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lara said...

Whoops. I left a comment and then deleted it, thinking I could start all over. So much for being smooth.
Here's what I want to say.
I'm praying for you.
God is Jehovah Shalom.
And how is that plan coming to get off school early? Not that I have a vested interest or anything.

allison said...

I have a funny story.

While in school in January, we had a guest professor take over since ours had to leave early. He is 76 years old, a prolific author, and a New Testament scholar who has taught all over the world and retired from more seminaries than I can count... all that to say that when he reads from scripture, he occasionally replaces words in any given translation that he feels are not the best choice.

in the course of our discussion, he was reading this very same passage about Jesus calming the sea, and it went something like this: "he got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, 'Shut up!'"

yes, it's random. There you go :)

Sanyu said...

Brother,

Love it. Thank you. (a great sermon ;) )