Monday, December 15, 2008

heading 'cross the Rio Grande

Tomorrow I'm boarding a bus for Juarez at 11 pm and will be crossing the border in Wednesday morning's wee hours to board yet another form of mass transportation in El Paso, and drift into beloved O'Hare Wednesday afternoon. 

Yup, I'm headed home. And I'm happy. 

Two more sets of exams to grade and final grades to calculate, but it shouldn't be that consuming. After that, it's all downhill. America, land of infinite comforts and conveniences, here I come!

...but that's what worries me. The part of me that loves my homeland's appeal to my every need and want that money can buy (central heating, dishwashers, drive-thru everything, Blockbuster) just has a heyday every time I return to the States. And it so easily satisfies me. 

I love those good things: soft carpet, plush down comforters, snow outside and a roaring fireplace inside, excellent food without limit, hot chocolate, Christmas treats and goodies, shining Christmas decorations, a well-equipped kitchen, and I believe those good things come from the Good Creator. 

But oh, how easy it is for these good things to come in between the Good God and my soul that so desperately needs him. 

Jesus, maintain our gaze on your inconvenient, uncomfortable Advent so our souls will be satisfied with our good Father.

4 comments:

In His Glad Service said...

Well, this reminds me that I have to tell you a story sometime about my mother in Juarez....it involves border patrol and what she called "squaw tea"...an innocent little herb she had with her...then my 15 year old sister, smart-alek that she was, says to the officer from the back seat, "Mama, maybe you should tell them about your tea, it does look a lot like something illegal." TIP: don't joke at the border...even in the 70's it was a lot like Homeland Security checkpoints at LaGuardia. My dad, who was driving rolled his eyes and said, "it's nothing officer, really". But OH, NO, he had to look and smell...and confiscate. My mother got all hyper (she really liked her squaw tea) and there were tears and declarations of "I'm an American citizen! I pay taxes! I can drink what I want!" My sister pushed for a night in jail, (teenagers!) but the officer thought that would not be wise or safe for the other prisoners.
So, let that be a warning to you. And welcome back. :)

Janiece said...

From Valley of Vision...

"The heavens declare thy glory,
The earth thy riches,
The universe is thy temple; thy presence fills immensity,
Yet, thou hast of thy pleasure created life, and communicated happiness;
Thou hast made me what I am, and given me what I have;
In thee I live and move and have my being;
Thy providence has set the bounds of my habitation, and wisely administers all my affairs.
I thank thee for thy riches to me in Jesus,
for the unclouded revelation of him in thy Word, where I behold his Person, character, grace, glory, humiliation, sufferings, death, and resurrection..."

Your entry reminded me of God being the source of all good and that is what I want to seek this Christmas. Lord, protect our hearts from straying from You and Your Glory as we wonder.....(and help us wonder anew) what you have done through Your Incarnation.

And thanks, Dr. C, for the Story! Merry Christmas! (and WELCOME HOME, BILLY)!!!

Anonymous said...

i hear you. way to put it into words....

javier payan said...

Hello billy, how are you.
first you haven't told me the story about the adventure in chihuahua.
today I wake up with many things, like: What's the meaning of soul?, the color in the music, who feels love?, I don't feel love.
the window show me the wonderful world and the beautiful nature made for GOD, now I know,If I want to be free and feel love for the other people I need see grace and mercy, the mercy wish make the wonderful sky and give to the birds the power of born with music

Merry Christmas and remember, we love you ...LIVE FOR EVER

-REGIN OF LOVE-