Friday, October 24, 2008

the teacher's worst enemy

Every morning from 9:10-10:00, I have the privilege to teach English to 28 beautiful Mexican 4th graders. I have really come to enjoy this class. After dealing with a few issues regarding order and discipline, I think I have come to the point of being able to coolly conduct the class with order, with a little fun thrown in there as well. 

But, no matter what degree of order I have in the class, it can be broken in an instant. All hell breaks loose, students start to howl, cover their noses with their shirts, crinkle up their cute little faces, and begin to yell, "AWWW! SOMEBODY FARTED!"

Yeah, you've just got to give it some time. Open some windows and hope the odor leaves quickly. If there's a teacher reading this that knows a secret to regain control of a class after somebody rips a bad one, please leave me a comment. It sure would be great to know. 

4 comments:

Sarah Kropp said...

i've stumbled across your blog and will now add it to my subscriptions. always glad to hear of news from your world, even if it's a little stinky (pun intended). :)

Janiece said...

There's no way around such things. Life ---- (sigh).

LOVE YOU!

Karen Sue said...

I asked my kids what they would do if they were in a job interview and their future boss farted. They'd better start learning now how to deal with it maturely. ¡Bueno suerte!

Sarah said...

haha... i just stumbled across your blog Billy. I teach 2nd graders and the first time somebody farted and they started laughing i said in my most serious teacher voice "farting is a part of life... everyone does it and it's gonna happen again. So, stop laughing." oddly enough it's worked. no one laughs anymore.. worth a shot i guess?