Monday, February 18, 2008

an abnormal post

hey ya'll...

usually i try to make my blog posts profound, meaningful, and insightful, a clever mixture of real-life situations i'm experiencing and deeper thoughts i'm having about the ever-present eternal reality of the Gospel. usually i deceive myself in my cleverness, and the purity of what started out to be a grace-prompted revelation often gets corrupted through my desire to dress it up in pretty language in order to impress my readers.

i hope this post is different (and shorter, as you're probably hoping:). perhaps a little more like a brief mass-email update. over the past couple weeks, life has continued as it normally does: nonstop teaching and preparation during the week, intermingled with a few welcomed breaks, and a "cool-down, relax, get laundry done and clean the apartment" weekend filled with a variety of social and church events.

as this latin rhythm follows its normal course, so does the swing of my daily life. some days (like yesterday for example) are great. i feel wonderful: time spent with God and people is meaningful, I do things well, I get things accomplished, and maybe toss in a few good selfless deeds (like making my roommate a sandwich or witnessing to somebody about Jesus).

and of course, there are moments with my rhythm gets thrown off and i misstep, causing others to wonder what the heck is wrong with me. i start dancing my own steps, to the beat of the desire of self, and eventually trip up and land on my bum, stupidly looking around in the hope that nobody noticed, especially the band leader. of course, he always does.

but the rhythm of grace never alters. never slowing to match my weakness, nor accelerating beyond the strength given me. my performance has no effect on its continuity. the best days don't surpass my need for it, nor do my worst days exhaust its supply.

asi es nuestro Dios, lleno de gracia.

5 comments:

rachel said...

It doesn't seem to matter what you write B. It is always well written and beautifully done! I'm telling you, you need to write a book! :)

Janiece said...

Good ol' Eugene Peterson...

"Are you tired, worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me---watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly". Matthew 11:28-29

Love you on the eve of the big day!

Esther said...

no need to impress! You already impress us for being YOU ;) Thanks for the honesty.

Almancena said...

Yo bro thanks for the sandwich... it was great! Keep on Keepn' on my friend... and i will see ya at the office in the morning, Mr. Nye! and then, we were teachers. or should i say teeechhhhhherrrrr!

Connie said...

Hey Billy...long time no...anything! This is Connie Johnson...the good ole office lady from CHCS. I'm gonna be checking your blog from now on....feel free to glance over at mine sometime too! Sounds like you're letting God teach you and are being used by Him. I'm praying for you...